The International Society for Patent Information Professionals
Search Community Job Board
We are pleased to announce the Call for Papers for the PIUG 2022 IN-PERSON Component of the Annual Conference to be held May 1-4, 2022 at The Westin, Alexandria, VA and the PIUG 2022 VIRTUAL Component of the Annual Conference to be held May 11-12, 2022.
Our intention is to have two separate components of the conference that allow for in-person programming for those interested in participating on-site at The Westin, as well as virtual programming for those that are not able to travel. When submitting your abstract for consideration, please specify your preference for presenting in-person or virtually.
We are interested in papers from all sectors of the patent information community on patent searching and analysis topics related to, but not limited to, the following:
· Skills required for patent searchers as search technology changes
· Examples of use cases in the auto industry, electronics, mechanical, pharmaceutical (chemistry & biotech), software & other sectors
· The use of computer assisted searching such as text mining, machine learning or artificial intelligence
· How changes in the law or regulatory procedures impact patent searching
· The use of patent information as a pre-competitive intelligence tool, intellectual property valuation studies, in licensing/out licensing opportunity identification and patent landscaping
· Practical suggestions to illustrate these themes are as follows:
· Best practices in constructing patent search strategies, reporting formats, and use of new tools for the organization /management of patent alerts/watches
· Specific search scenarios with the strategy described, databases used, results identified, or other tips and tricks
· Showcase methods for effective client engagement, user experience, attorney outreach and time management
· The incorporation use cases in the academic, corporate and other sectors
· Examples of how a work product supports or is a component of business decisions
· Review the use of patent information as a competitive intelligence resource
· Approaches to fostering continuous improvement, i.e., use of analytical &/or visualization applications, implementing quality control guidelines, team collaboration and knowledge sharing practices.
We are also considering having groups of related talks, followed by a Q&A session for those talks. For example, we would have three talks on a particular topic, 15-20 minutes per talk. Following all three talks, we would have a Q&A session with all three presenters available to answer questions. Some of the categories we are considering are:
· Standard Essential Patents
· Court updates, US & EU
· Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence
General Guidelines for submission:
· Send your presentation title, abstract (100-200 words), speaker name(s), affiliation, brief biography and full contact information to Shelley Pavlek (email@example.com). Note: presentations are typically 20 min., followed by 10 min. questions and answers.
· Please be advised that your abstract submission will be published on the PIUG web site and related media, shortly after receipt or at any time thereafter. Therefore, do not include confidential or business-sensitive information in your abstract.
· Further news about the program and updates regarding the conference will be posted on the PIUG web site at www.piug.org and PIUG Discussion Forum.
DEADLINE is December 20, 2021.
Please share this notice within your greater patent information community to enhance our outreach efforts. Thank you for your consideration. We look forward to seeing you at the PIUG 2022 Annual Conference!
Notice on use of PIUG name and logo:
No one may use the PIUG name or logo for any promotional or commercial purpose or any other purpose without the prior written consent of the PIUG Board of Directors.
Antitrust Policy | Bylaws | Copyright and Disclaimer
© 2023 The Patent Information Users Group, Inc.