Monday, September 29 to Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Call for Papers
The Patent Information Users Group Northeast Conference Committee is pleased to announce the call for papers for the PIUG Northeast 2014 Conference to be held on Tuesday, September 30 at the Heldrich Hotel, New Brunswick, New Jersey. Please email an abstract with your idea(s) as soon as possible and by July 11 to Donald Walter (don.w.walter @ gmail.com [remove spaces before sending]).
We are interested in papers from all sectors of the patent information community, including but not limited to, corporations, patent offices, law firms, universities and other affiliates, on the following, or related, topics:
- Best practices in patent searching, analyzing and reporting. We want to hear from patent information professionals who are willing to share their best practices for searching, reporting and analysis of patent information. Independent patent information contractors and consultants with previous experience at multiple companies are especially encouraged to participate in this area. Talks on Markush structure searching, mechanical engineering, medical devices and biotechnology are of specific interest.
- Real life examples of how patent research and analysis has been successfully applied to obtain useful information for traditional needs such as to support and answer legal and/or technical questions. Talks about either data/text mining and/or data visualization are particularly encouraged.
- Specific techniques to ensure success, including but not limited to, the customer reference interview, knowledge sharing with colleagues, key research and analysis tools to use in various technology areas, following-up with customers, identifying and reporting key value drivers to management. Corporate patent analysts, patent information managers or independent consultants are especially encouraged to submit papers in this area
- Sample reports in various technology areas, e.g., suggestions and details for what to include and/or what to exclude from written or oral reports. What do you put in your reports, or leave out, what are the caveats and limitations?
- Procedural or other changes for companies as a result of the America Invents Act would also be of interest. We are also interested in basic information or updates on U.S. or foreign patent law as well as papers from other patent information customers (e.g. research and development managers, licensing executives and others) who would like to outline their usual needs and expectations for patent analysis.
- Patent office employees are also encouraged to submit abstracts relating to patent information systems, challenges or policies and related topics.
General Guidelines for submitting proposal/topic/ideas
- Please send your paper title, abstract (100-200 words), proposed speaker name, affiliation, brief biography and full contact information. Note: presentations are typically 30 minutes but this may vary.
- If you are interested in submitting a paper but need extra time to obtain your management approval, please let us know by the July 11 deadline and if possible provide the topic title and / or few sentences that we can consider in the interim.
- The organizers reserve the right to accept abstracts at their discretion in order to assemble the best possible program. Invited speakers may take precedence over other speakers. Please be advised that your abstract submission may be published on the PIUG web site and related media, shortly after receipt or at any time thereafter. Therefore, do not include confidential or business-sensitive information in your abstract.
- If you would like to recommend a speaker on a particular topic or suggest another topic of interest, we would appreciate hearing from you. Please do not hesitate to contact the 2014 PIUG NE Conference organizers, listed below, with your views.
- Further news about the program and updates regarding the conference will be posted on the PIUG Discussion Forum (PIUG-DF) and on the PIUG web site at www.piug.org.
You may forward this notice as appropriate.
Thank you for your consideration. We look forward to seeing you at the PIUG NE 2014 Conference.
Donald Walter, Chair - Program Committee
Lucy Akers, Julia Heinrich, Suzanne Robins - Program Committee Members.
Kim Miller, Chair - Planning Committee
If you are interested in joining the Program Committee, please email Don (don.w.walter @ gmail.com [remove spaces before sending]).