Call for Papers
Now in its sixteenth year, the PIUG Biotechnology Conference focuses on best practices for patent information professionals who specialize in biotechnology search and analysis. Within a changing scientific and business environment, patent searchers continue to provide value to their organization and clients by maintaining contemporary knowledge of resources, technologies and industry trends.
The program committee is interested in receiving submissions by November 1, 2021 on the following suggested topics associated with the theme. The theme is meant to inspire but not to limit topic selection. All topics related to biotechnology patent information research listed below will be considered.
- Prophylactic and preventative vaccines
- Digital health and digital therapeutics including wearable devices, biosensors, medical devices, and diagnostics
- Policies impacting biotechnology
- Cell and gene therapy including sequences, vector, delivery mechanisms, manufacturing/production, formulations and targeted indications
- Presentations on scientific resources that will help biotech patent searchers develop and maintain their scientific knowledge and searching skills. Topic themes include technology platforms, biosimilars, including exclusivity information and the BPCIA “patent dance”, multi-valent antibodies as well as modifications, gene editing (CRISPR), CDR searching, combination therapeutics, and advanced sequence searching
- The use of computer assisted searching such as text mining, machine learning or artificial intelligence in biotechnology patent searching
- How changes in the law or regulatory procedures impact biotechnology patent searching
- The use of patent information as a pre-competitive intelligence tool, intellectual property valuation/monetization, in licensing/out licensing opportunity identification, and patent landscaping/trend analysis
- Practical suggestions to illustrate these themes are as follows:
- Best practices in constructing patent search strategies, reporting formats, and use of new tools for the organization/management of patent alerts/watches
- Showcase methods for effective client engagement, user experience, attorney outreach and time management
- The incorporation use cases in the academic, corporate and other sectors
- Examples of how a work product supports or is a component of business decisions
- Review the use of patent information as a competitive intelligence resource
- Approaches to fostering continuous improvement, i.e., use of analytical &/or visualization applications, implementing quality control guidelines, team collaboration and knowledge sharing practices.
In addition, as always, we would be interested in presentations about a specific search scenario with the strategy described, databases used, results identified, or other tips and tricks.
Interested speakers should submit the following to https://form.jotform.com/biotechconf/piug22bioproposals by November 1, 2021:
- Proposed speaker name
- Brief biography
- Full contact information
- Presentation title
- Abstract (100 – 200 words)
- The organizers reserve the right to accept abstracts at their discretion in order to assemble the best possible program. Invited speakers may take precedence over other speakers. Please be advised that your abstract submission maybe published on the PIUG web site and related media, shortly after receipt or at any time thereafter. Therefore, do not include confidential or business-sensitive information in your abstract.
- If you would like to recommend a speaker on a particular topic or suggest another topic of interest, we would appreciate hearing from you. Please do not hesitate to contact the PIUG 2022 Biotechnology Conference organizers, listed below with your views.
Thank you for your consideration and we look forward to seeing you at the PIUG 2022 Biotechnology Conference!
||Novartis Institute for BioMedical Research (NIBR)
||Librarian At Your Service LLC
||Qin Meng *
||Fairview Research / IFI CLAIMS Patent Services
||Alison Taylor *
||Christine Geluk *
||Librarian At Your Service LLC
||Jane Thompson *
||Barbara Miller *
||Global Patent Solutions
* Chair or Co-Chair