Call for Papers
Now in its twelfth year, the PIUG Biotechnology Conference focuses on best practices for patent information professionals who specialize in biotechnology search and analysis. Within a changing business environment, patent searchers continue to provide value to companies and clients by maintaining contemporary knowledge of resources, technologies and industry trends.
The program committee is interested in receiving submissions by October 13, 2017, on the following suggested topics:
- Presentations on scientific resources that will help biotech patent searchers develop and maintain their scientific knowledge and searching skills. Topic themes include technology platforms, biosimilars, including exclusivity information and the BPCIA “patent dance”, bi- or multi-specific antibodies as well as modifications, digital health including wearable devices, therapeutic vaccines, unitary patent, gene therapy, gene editing (CRISPR), multi-CDR searching, combination therapeutics, advanced sequence searching, medical devices and diagnostics.
- The use of machine learning or artificial intelligence in biotech searching
- How changes in the law or regulatory procedures impact biotech searching
- The use of patent information as a pre-competitive intelligence tool, intellectual property valuation studies, in licensing/out licensing opportunity identification and patent landscaping
- Practical suggestions to illustrate these themes are as follows:
- Best practices in constructing patent search strategies, reporting formats, and use of new tools for the organization/management of patent alerts/watches
- Showcase methods for effective client engagement, user experience, attorney outreach and time management
- Description of use cases in the academic, corporate and other sectors
- Examples of how a work product supports or is a component of business decisions
- Review the use of patent information as a competitive intelligence resource
- Approaches to fostering continuous improvement, i.e., use of analytical &/or visualization applications, implementing quality control guidelines, team collaboration and knowledge sharing practices.
Also, as always, we would be interested in presentations about a specific search scenario with the strategy described, databases used, results identified, or other tips and tricks.
The theme is meant to inspire but not limit topic selection - all topics related to biotechnology patent information research will be considered.
Interested speakers should submit the following to Greg Roland (gregory.roland at novartis dot com) and Alison Taylor (Alison.taylor at abbott dot com) by October 13, 2017:
- Proposed speaker name
- Brief biography
- Full contact information
- Presentation title
- Abstract (100 – 200 words)
If you are interested in submitting a paper but need extra time to obtain your management approval, please let us know by the October 13, 2017, deadline, and, if possible, provide the topic title and a few sentences that we can consider in the interim.
- The organizers reserve the right to accept abstracts at their discretion in order to assemble the best possible program. Invited speakers may take precedence over other speakers. Please be advised that your abstract submission may be published on the PIUG web site and related media, shortly after receipt or at any time thereafter. Therefore, do not include confidential or business-sensitive information in your abstract.
- If you would like to recommend a speaker on a particular topic or suggest another topic of interest, we would appreciate hearing from you. Please do not hesitate to contact the PIUG 2018 Biotechnology Conference organizers, listed below, with your views.
Further news about the program and updates regarding the conference will be posted on the PIUG Discussion Forum (PIUG-DF) and on the upcoming PIUG 2018 Biotechnology Conference web page.
Thank you for your consideration. We look forward to seeing you at the PIUG 2018 Biotechnology Conference!
The PIUG 2018 Biotechnology Program Committee:
Co-Chairs: Greg Roland and Alison Taylor
PIUG 2018 Biotechnology Planning Committee Chair:
PIUG 2018 Biotechnology Workshop Chair: